Tuesday, November 18

Polar Vortex Part Deux

I wrote this about today for an assignment:


It is a freezing day.  And yesterday.  The temp is in the ‘teens and with the wind chill, Chicago is in the negative numbers already.  The air hurts my face as I take my daughter to daycare.  We drove past Lake Michigan at the 57th street turn signal, and I told my daughter she should look at the water – it was making clouds. 
The lake was warmer than the air, and it looked like steam was rising in a lazy dance up to the low clouds that were slowly collecting.  It was amazing. 
I spent the early afternoon taking a CPR class in a northern suburb, and on the way home, the radio said there will be snow tonight.  It was still freezing at this point, but while stopped at a light on my way to the grocery store for supplies, I could close my eyes to the sun beaming in on me.  My whole face felt perfectly happy.  Just an hour later, it was gloom and doom, and when I picked up my daughter from daycare, we made a mad dash so our snot didn’t freeze.  
Now I’m getting done with my motherhood role (check, I was awesome) and am tackling my business.  I’m sitting in a tank top with the windows OPEN because, wouldn’t you know it, our building’s boiler is incredible.  My poor plants.  If I forget to water them a day they suffer for it. 
I don’t yet know if we’ll get the snow, but how do I tell my body to prepare for it when it is sitting here looking for a fancy tiki drink to match this biodome-sauna?

I just wrote a blog about what winter fun we could have in Chicago this winter,
but if it is anything like last winter, with day after day of sub-zero temperature, I'll need to make a much different post:  Is cabin fever worth it if it means keeping your face? 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...